Monday, February 22, 2010

Day 66

First off... here's the original James Reynolds Painting.

Here's the sketch...
Here's my little palette and easel set-up
-Ultramarine Blue
-Cobalt Blue
-Cerulean Blue
-Viridian
-Transparent Oxide Red (or Burnt Sienna)
-Alizarin Crimson
-Terra Rosa
-Cadmium Red
-Yellow Ochre
-Cadmium Yellow Deep
-Cadmium Yellow Pale
-Cadmium Lemon Yellow
- Titanium White

My paint tube case from The Container Store. It's a good idea to keep your supplies clean and organized. It can become a huge problem while you are painting. Dirty supplies can detract you from your painting. Sometimes even causing you to stop your session.

First step of painting. Paint your darks in first. That how Rembrandt and Singer Sargent did it (they would have first painted a first layer to cover their canvas... good point Slightly Befuddled... I'm not sure what your name is, but you are doing good research!)

Tip - Your darks are typically never as dark as you think they are. You will always want to add white to liven the color up and unify your palette. Also, with your dark colors, there is no need to get very textured or detailed. Your shadows areas don't have much detail, because, well, they are in the shadow and don't have much detail. Go crazy with your detail and texture with the lighter parts of the painting
Start adding more detail and building off existing painted sections (sorry, not sure why this one is so small)


Continue to block in your areas

At this point, you can se my palette is dirty, however, the colors mixed are pretty similar, as you can see. Time to clean off the palette

Tip: don't go crazy using tons of different colors. Unify your palette! Typically most things in life are within the same color family

Done!

I have pre-mixed my next group of colors. The last thing you want to do is mix your color on your canvas. The worst paintings are the ones that look too "blendy", in fact, I mix a color, and lay it down once. I leave it. I don't blend it or mix it with other colors. It makes your painting look more lively. It sounds like more work, but it saves you time later.

Continue to block in your shapes

Done!... now this is a very second rate copy of one of my all-time favorite artists, James Reynolds. His is infinitely better! But for about an hour and a half of my time, I'm fairly pleased with it... there I go using time to discuss my art process again! I'm so midwestern

2 comments: