Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Day 52

Here is the drawing of the day. It's a caricature of John Wayne. Pretty funny stuff. I have been having fun working with colored pencils. Prismacolors are the way to go. You can do just about anything with them. This drawing is done with four different colors (it's good to keep your palette limited). This took about 1 hour to draw. I think it's funny (and probably stupid) talking about art and the time it takes to complete. I use it to track my efficiency, some might think it's bragging (for some it might be). I was talking to someone who lived back east and he thought it was funny that mid-western and western people gauge their work based on the time that it takes for them to complete them. He said that artists in Europe (he was speaking specifically about German artists) are acclaimed until they are about 64 years old, and not one ever asks them how long it takes to do their work. He was pretty much implying that we were simple minded people who didn't have any patience (maybe he's right). Like we were old gunslingers from the wild west or something. So, as we're talking, this guy is finishing a mural some of my students were helping him with. As a joke, I ask him, "So, how long did this take you to do?" Without catching any part of the joke, he says, "Oh, I can fly through these things. This only took a couple of days."


2 comments:

  1. Blake, this is just one more of the many great drawings I am seeing of yours. I used to fancy myself an characaturist and had thought on e day I would be producing art like this. Your drawings far exceed any I had imagined. It is interesting that one can do a drawing like this inside an hour alright. But in the end, it is the finished product. You have succeeded.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete