Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Day 51

Here is the drawing for the day. After yesterday's post about the caricature discussion, I thought it would be good to test my abilities. I used to really be interested in stretching the face a far as it could go. This is a colored pencil (prismacolors) study from one of my all-time favorite artists, Sebastian Kruger. Probably one of the greatest portrait painters dead or alive. His ability to abstract images into his own creation while doing an incredible job rendering is unparalleled. He is possibly one of three artists that makes me want to quit all together, because I'll never reach his level. Google this guy's art! It's brilliant and hilarious.


This is a portrait of Steven Tyler, the lead singer of Aerosmith. A pretty hilarious abstract of the guy. My wife says "it grosses her out!" Yeah, it's a pretty up close and personal approach to a guy that is almost as famous for his lips that he is for writing hits. He was actually made fun of SO much for his lips, that he got kicked out of high school for fighting so much. He was sick of being made fun of. This portrait doesn't help things I'm sure. I was just reading in a newer Rolling Stone issue that he was pretty much kicked out of Aerosmith. How do you kick him out? He pretty much is that band. Supposedly, he was unable to deal with his drug addition and ego. Not a great combination. Working in the additions field, I found the article pretty interesting. I think we view people like Steven Tyler as someone who has dealt with his demons. He overcame them in the past, but he has moved on to create incredibly popular music. It just goes to show, addiction is a pretty powerful thing, and not impressed by too much...


Speaking of Aerosmith and Rolling Stones... after Steven Tyler was kicked out of school, he heard the Rolling Stones were performing a show in (Florida, I think). Since he had nothing to do, he went to (Miami, I think... somewhere near the beach) to try to meet the Rolling Stones. Once he got there, he realized very quickly that was not going to happen. So instead, he started telling people he was Mick Jagger's little brother (similar lips!), and guess what?! People bought it. He was able to get into any bar or after party, and I'm sure made some new friends. I always loved that story. How many of us would take one of our deficits that has been ridiculed to no end, and promote to our advantage... minus all the deceit, I really respect the guy for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment