Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Day 122



Like I mentioned in the previous post, drawing a portrait is like having a conversation with someone. If you do it right, you get an understanding of the person; sometimes without even having known them. When I was drawing Jimmy yesterday, I felt a sense urgency and wanted to do an accurate job almost out of respect to him and anyone who knew him. I wanted to capture the kindness in his eyes and a bit of his essence. I felt like I had a chance to get to know him while I was drawing him.

In a unfortunate turn in events, Jimmy Lester passed away a few hours ago. He we will missed by everyone who knew him. He will even be missed by me, someone who had never met him.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Blake.
    chris lizotte

    ReplyDelete
  2. so amazing brother. you captured him perfect.
    -ryan delmore

    ReplyDelete