Monday, June 7, 2010

Day 107


The Drawing of the day... This is an early self-portrait of Salvador Dali. It's called "Self-Portrait with the Neck of Raphael"

As someone who really is interested in understanding any type of cultural reference, I really tried to understand the "Neck of Raphael" reference... but I never could. I'm pretty familiar with with Raphael's work, and he's pretty anatomically correct. For years (in middle school in high school) before I new Raphael's work, I just assumed his style was thick, long necks... but no

In college I did a few self-portraits with necks of Raphael to be interesting, pretentious, and mysterious. But in the end, like usual, I had no idea what I was talking about.

This painting is not one of my favorites, but sticks in my head a lot. So, I decided to draw it today. It's not totally accurate, but I think it looks a little more like Salvador Dali than his own. It's not uncommon for artists to make themselves better looking in their paintings. And for a crazy looking guy in his arrogant, styleless youth, I don't blame him. He wanted to look serious and noble. Though in a few years he was all about looking crazy and not stoic, like this picture...

1 comment:

  1. http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3107/2342616683_d690bc3cdb.jpg

    I kind of think he's making fun of Raphael's neck in this Self-Portrait. That's what I would do, anyway.

    ReplyDelete