Saturday, April 3, 2010

Day 85


I remember March 9th, 2005 very well. I was driving in Cody, WY to look for some locations to take photos for some painting. There are only a few radio station around my home town that get service in this area. As I'm driving, the news comes on and says that musician Chris LeDoux had passed. I remember pulling over to the side of the road to focus on what I had just heard. I remember feeling incredibly sad over the news, though I had never had the chance to meet him, and I unfortunately never saw him in concert. The sadness came from two places: the first being a family losing a father and a husband, and the second being the world losing a valuable artist.

Chris Ledoux is beyond an icon in my book. He is the example of where hard work gets you. If you get a chance to read up on him or even hear a story or two, it's well worth it. Growing up in Wyoming, you knew about Chris LeDoux at a very early age. I remember being in elementary school arguing with another classmate about whether or not he lived in Wyoming or not ( I was on the losing end, I thought he lived in California).  He was a source of pride for people in Wyoming. He was like us, only famous and REALLY talented. Let me give you a brief overview of him: at a relatively young age, he started to learn how to ride a horse, after a few years he starts doing rodeos, he starts getting so good that he goes out on the road, to pay for this, he decides to start writing songs, while he is doing this, he happens to win the world's bareback riding championship, the a few years later he dives in music full-time and happens to become one of the most authentic country musician ever (just ask Garth), oh yeah, and he also did some great bronze sculptures. What they need to do is make a moving about his life.

Chris LeDoux is a hero of mine because he didn't take any shortcuts. He is a result of long hours of hard work. He was a no frills guy, who was humble and lived an honest life. That's why I selected this photo to do today's drawing. I like this image because about 80% of his face in a shadow and almost hidden under a hat. He wasn't out there doing a glamour shot, it looks like just a moment of his life captured. But yet, he has a great big smile on his face that shows his happiness and appreciation.

To look at me you would think my musical and/or artistic heroes would be more of the punk rock or heavy metal variety, but I choose people like Chris LeDoux. He makes me proud to me from Wyoming. He never left to sell out to a big record label (which he easily could have). He was one of the guys that made me think that I could achieve greatness.

During my last few years of college, I had the opportunity to get to know Chris' son, Will, a little bit. He's a great guy. When I got the idea to do a drawing his dad, I really wanted his permission before hand, out of respect. He gladly gave it to me.

Thanks, Will. I hope this does your dad justice.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, after reading you story about this man, I am fascinated at how you captured the essence and spirit of the man you told about. And with just a pencil and paper. It is in the shadows this picture shines. Thanks,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I'm ashamed to say that even though I grew up in Wyoming, I didn't really know who Chris was. I'd heard the name, but didn't really pay attention I guess. Thanks for sharing this and your beautiful artwork. I'm gonna check him out and now I'm a fan of yours also!
    Thanks!!
    tj

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that the drawing would have made him proud, and it has amazing detail and shading. You can really see how different everything is and how the face seems to speak for itself, its very well done!!

    ReplyDelete